Music from Vandergrift Musical premieres in Virginia
Medley, an evening of music excerpted from two musicals, Lincoln and God by Anthony Gallo and John Ward, and Vandergrift by Anthony Gallo, Beatrix Whitehall and John Ward premieres at the Arlington Mill Stage in Arlington, Virginia on May 18 at 8 PM. Both plays are based on the critically- acclaimed stage dramas of the same name by Gallo, a Vandergrift native. Each of the original plays have been staged as full productions twice, and have had a total of twenty-one staged readings.
Noted Washington baritone Benny Robles and Ms. Whitehall will sing the leads.
Gallo wrote the book and lyrics for the Lincoln play, with John Ward as composer, arranger, and orchestrator. Gallo also wrote the book, while Beatrix Whitehall (Mr. Ward’s wife), wrote the lyrics and music for Vandergrift. Mr. Ward provides arrangement and orchestration. Selections include Winding Streets (a waltz) and We Want to be Treated Fair.
Both composers visited the Victorian Vandergrift Museum several years ago and fell in love with the Museum, the town, and the Casino Theater. Ms. Whitehall said she looks forward to performing Winding Streets in Vandergrift someday.
Ms. Whitehall is the third composer who has collaborated with Gallo on the Vandergrift musical. Vermont composer Donald Velsey was followed by Alan Gershwin (son of George) who had to resign for health reasons.
Medley will be performed at a number of Washington, DC venues including the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in September
If interested in attending, please reserve at email@example.com or call 202 544 6973.
Type your paragraph here.
Grant Bagley : Grant Bagley is a retired physician-attorney who now spends his time studying music and theater arts and performing with music and theater groups. He has appeared with the 7th Street Players at Greenbelt Art Center and in several made for TV productions. He currently performs in a Jazz trio playing Bass with his wife Margaret on piano. Together they are currently engaged in creating music for several plays by Anthony Gallo. While upright bass is his primary instrument he also does vocals, plays guitar, electric bass and tuba. His musical repetoire includes big band swing music, classical jazz, blues, country and western, Dixieland jazz and Bluegrass
Margaret Bagley:_ Classically trained, she has shown interest and gained skill
in several styles from jazz to gospel in addition to piano standards. Having music
and lyrics for her six granddaughters, she produced a lullaby cd which has been
available for several years. Able to craft songs to further specific scenes in plays, some reworking lyrics, adds to the story. recently performed at the Kennedy Center have been songs written for, David, and Peggy Collington with husband, a bass player in a combo with drummer, Don Lewis. Most recently the group is adding a Dixieland presentation adding other instruments.
Ben Robles:a native of Oakland, California and calls northern Virginia his home now.
After serving as a Military Policeman in the US Army, Ben remained in Virginia and
enjoyed a career as a budget Analyst, for Fairfax County during the day, but at night
and on weekends he actively pursued his true love, music, music theory, and especially voice His musical interest are as eclectic as can be, ranging from opera, to musical theater, and from sacred music to the great music standards sung by the likes of Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra. For the last 35 years, he has studied diligently with a myriad of voice teachers, and learned a great deal from the many choir directors, singing with their choirs and cantoring. He sang for 10 years with the Northern Virginia Opera Theatre, singing in a plethora of operas and operettas. He performed lead and chorus roles in many community theater productions over the years and has developed a particular love of Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.These days, Ben enjoys singing with the Seventh Street Playhouse, singing weekly with St. Mark Catholic Church in Vienna, Virginia and St. Albans, Episcopal Church in Annandale, Virginia, singing with several local piano bars weekly as well as occasionally performing at several local Senior Citizen centers
Ronnie Hardcastle: Bass/Baritone Ronnie hails from
Oklahoma and settled in Northern Virginia 40 years ago after leaving the military. He is a
graduate of George Mason University with a degree in Accounting and his studies have
served him well in his current capacity as an analyst for Booz Allen Hamilton. His study of
voice actually started in middle school when he performed with his school madrigal group and
continued in the years to follow with vocal training with various local voice teachers. He was first introduced to musical theater in Panama, when he was stationed in the Panama Canal Zone, where he performed the part of Stewpot in a production of South Pacific. That performance sparked a performance flame inside that has been roaring ever since! After being stationed in the Pentagon, here in northern Virginia, Ronnie found the Little Theatre of Alexandria, LTA. LTA, a highly professional local little theater, provided Ronnie a perfect environment to express his artistic talents and served as a springboard for him to join other local theater oups and the Northern Virginia Opera Theatre company. In addition his fondness for musical theater, operettas, opera and vocal standards, Ronnie enjoys performing sacred music. He currently sings with the St. Mark Catholic Church and St. Albans Episcopal Church choirs weekly and with special Arlington Diocese, Diocesan Choir. Currently he is more than happy to join the Seventh Street Playhouse cast performing, A Musical Medley. music.
Anthony E. Gallo CEO
202 544 6973 firstname.lastname@example.org
Office: 492 Browns Court, Washington, DC 20003 Mail: Box 15414, Washington, DC j20003
Bagley, Margaret (Floride Calhoun) She appeared in June in a presentation of "The Hollow", an Agatha Christie play at the GAC. In 2015, she had a part in a one-act play, "Life And Death". Last summer she was in "The Springfield Boys", a Tony Gallo play. Margaret has sung in the Capital Encore Chorale for five years. A pianist, she appears with her husband, Grant, a bassist, in the Baguette Magique combo joined by a vocalist and drummer. They provide pre-dinner music at Washington, D.C.'s Collington Community where the couple resides
John Ward is the composer for Lincoln and God
Beatrix Whitehall has been musical all her life, though she only dimly remembers her childhood piano lessons. She has written songs for a number of years, but “Vandergrift” is her first attempt at a musical. She is part of The Homespun Ceilidh Band, a nine-piece Celtic group,where she sings and plays percussion. A retired public defender, she is now studying to be a teacher.
CLICK TO VISIT EACH OF THESE MUSICAL WEB SITES
LINCOLN AND GOD: THE FOLK OPERA
Previously Mr. Gallo worked with composer Alan Gershwin((2012-2014), son of George Gershwin, on both Lincoln and God and Vandergrift! Mr. Gershwin had to step own due to health reasons. Mr Gallo also worked with Vermont composer Donald Velsey (2009-2011).
Gallo Music Company is a subsidiary of the Seventh Street Playhouse LLC. The other two subsidiaries are Eastern Market Studios and Browns Court Publishing Company
CONTACT: Email Us 202 544 -6973 email@example.com
Anthony E. Gallo
202 544 6973
THE BOTTICELLI CRUISE
1. THE SEA: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE
2. I WANDER AIMLESSLY (CHRIS)
3. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL LEGS IN THE WORLD
4. WHO ARE WE
6. DANCING ON THE CRUISE
7. I LOVE YOU, ARTHUR
8. I LOVE YOU, BERNARD
9. THE SERMON ON SINNERS
10. I AM AN AA DRUNK
11. MY AUNT 12. DRUNK SONG
13. THE MYSTERY OF THE SEA
14. THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD
15. CAMILLA BROWN KISSES ASS
16. THE CARDINAL AND I
17. OUT YOU GO
18. WHO ARE WE
19. THE SEA, A MYSTERY.
CHARLESTON REVISITED 1. CHARLESTON, MY TOWN
2. THE BLUE JAY SONG: BIRDSONG
3. I LOVE LIFE: CHARLOTTE
4. HUMANS: MADAME FINCH AND BLUEJAY DIALOGUE
5. MY MAN: GIN
6. YOUR HOROSCOPE: CHARLOTTE
7. DUET 1: WE ARE SO MUCH ALIKE C AND M
8. DUET 2.: ARE YOU MY SON: C AND M
9. DUET 3: TAKE ME TO THE CEMETERY
10. YOU’RE A BITCH: MARK
11. ANDREW I LOVE YOU: CHARLOTTE
12. HATRED SONG: CHARLOTTE AND MARK
13. LET’S FOLLOW: THE BIRDS
14. LET’S PONDER THE UNIVERSE: THE BIRDS
15. LIFE IS A MIRACLE: MARK
16. I SHALL PLANT THE TREES
17. I SEE YOU IN THE RAINBOW, ANDREW THE AGONY OF DAVID 1. DAVID! DAVID! DAVID! 2. JONATHAN AND SAUL 3. THE CURSE 4. I HATE HIM, I LOVE HIM 5. DUET MICHAL AND DAVID I WANT TO BE ALONE 6. DUET DAVID AND AMNON: MY SON MY SON 7. DUET TAMAR AND AMNON 8. DAVID AND ABSALOM 9. DAVID’S LAMENT 10. AMNON’S PRAYER 11. DUET 1 ABSALOM AND AMNON 12. DUET 2 ABSALOM AND AMNON 13. ABSALOM’ MARTY 14. DAVID AND AMNON AT DEATH: DO NOT DIE ON ME 15. DAVID’S SECOND LAMENT 16. YOU MUST CLAIM THE THRONE; MICHAL AND ABSALOM 17. MUST MY SECOND SON ALSO DIE: DAVID’S THIRD LAMENT 18. SHIMEI SONG OF REPROOF 19. DAVID’S CONCILIATION 20. YOU WILL WIN, ABSALOM HUSHAI OFFER 21. KILL ABSALOM: SOLDIER AND JOAB 22. YOU ARE THE KING: JOAB ADMONISHES DAVID 23. THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD 24. I DIE: ABISHAG AND DAVID FARWELL LINCOLN AND GOD 1. NEARER MY GOD TO THEE: CHOIR 2. AMAZING GRACE: (BAGPIPES) 3. LINCOLN’S FACE: THOMAS JONES 4. MARY TODD LINCOLN POLKA: ALL 5. EDDIE: MARY TODD LINCOLN 6. THE ESSENCE OF MY HUSBAND: MARY TODD LINCOLN 7. A SOUTHERNER: BENJAMIN HELM 8. WAR: EVERYONE 9. YOU ARE MOSES: PHINEAS GURLEY 10. LORD WORK WILL JOIN YOUR CHURCH: 11. LINCOLN THROUGH ME: LINCOLN AND GURLEY 12. DOWN WITH LINCOLN: LINCOLN LINCOLN : ALL 13. OLD GLORY IS DOWN: LINCOLN AND NICO 14. THE DEPARTED: COLCHESTER 15. WILLIE AND EDDIE: MARY 16. THERE IS NO DEATH: MARY 17. I WANT A DIVORCE: MARY 18. WHY I SLEEP WITH THAT MAN 19. FIRST INAUGURAL ADDRESS: LINCOLN 20. DUCK, YOU IDIOT: CAPTAIN 21. THE DEVIL’S WAR: MARY AND EMILY 22. GETTYSBURG ADDRESS: LINCOLN 23. SECOND INAUGURAL ADDRESS: LINCOLN 24. I HATE THAT MAN: JOHN WILKES BOOTH 25. MY NIGHTMARE DREAM: LINCOLN 26. OFF TO FORD’S THEATRE: NICO 27. EULOGY: PHINEAS GURLEY 28. THE BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC: ALL 29. AMAZING GRACE( BAGPIPES) THE LAST DAYS OF KING SOLOMON 1. ZADOK’S PRAYER: ZADOK 2. WILL THE KINGDOM FALL : BATHSHEBA 3. A LOVE SONG: SHEBA AND ABSALOM 4. A TIME(FROM ECCLESIASTES): SHEBA 5. DRUNK AND DROWSY: SOLOMON 6. I DO NOT SEE THE TEMPLE: SOLOMON 7. I WANT A STATUE: TAMAR 8. I AM ABSALOM’S SON 9. MY TWO MOTHERS 10. COME LIVE WITH ME : TAMAR 11. SCRATCH MY BACK: DUET ABSALOM AND SOLOMON 12. HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO RULE: SOLOMON AND SHEA 13. MY HORSE IS GONE: SOLOMON 14. OUR COVENANT WITH GOD: ZADOK AND SOLOMON 15. WHY HAS GOD ABANDONED ME: SOLOMON 16. ABSALOM, MUST I KILL YOU: SOLOMON 17. HELP ME SEE THE TEMPLE: SOLOMON AND ABSALOM 18. I AM THAT I AM: GOD 19. WE CANNOT CONTROL OUR PASSIONS: TAMAR AND ABSALOM 20. KILL HIM: TAMAR 21. I WILL FEAST ON HIM: SHEBA 22. HELP ME GOD: SOLOMON 23. ALL THE RIVERS GO TO THE SEA: SOLOMON 24. YOU ARE THE DEVIL: SOLOMON AND ABSALOM 25. MY SOLOMON! MY SOLOMON: GOD VANDERGRIFT! THE VANDERGRIFT WALTZ ONE NATION, ONE PEOPLE, ONE TOWN OUR TOWN THEY WANT TOO MUCH TWELVE CENTS AN HOUR HARVARD, HARVARD, HARVARD POLAKS AND STRAY DOGS CATHOLICS, PROTESTANTS, AND JEWS WORKERS PARADISE HOMES YES. GEORGE IDA: THE MOST POWERFUL JOURNALIST IN AMERICA MCMURTRY, I DO LIKE YOU UNIONS POLAKS AND STRAY DOGS WORKERS PARADISE HOMES YES. GEORGE IDA: THE MOST POWERFUL JOURNALIST IN AMERICA MCMURTRY, I DO LIKE YOU THE BELLS GEORGE IS IN HEAVEN WHERE IS MR. WILSON MY LIPS ARE SEALED WHEN YOU WERE ALIVE ONE NATION, ONE PEOPLE, ONE TOWN OUR TOWN A STATUE PLEAS LET’S PLAY BALL THE WAR IS OVER: GOD BLESS AMERICAN SOLDIERS ABRACADABRA I’LL BE SEEING, YOU IDA WHAT HAPPENED TO VANDERGRIFT I THINK I’LL BECOME A PRESBYTERIAN FINALE